Quetzal Artisan is proud to present a special and unique selection of Sustainable & Fair trade Handcrafted Products from North, Central, and South America. Our main collections consist of handcrafted products from Guatemala and Canada.
Quetzal Artisan’s name originated from the national bird of Guatemala, the Quetzal, with its colourful splendid feathers it is considered one of the most beautiful birds of the World.
Mayan artisans skillfully craft unique colourful pieces of art often inspired by the beauty of the Quetzal. The Quetzal is enshrined in the heart of Guatemala’s Mayan artisans.
We invite you to look through our unique collection of textiles, home decor, serving ware, art, and personal accessories including our exclusive hand-woven wool garment collection.
- The lovely wool garment collection is designed and handwoven by talented women in our small atelier in Canada. The yarns include alpaca wool, organic and premium cottons, bamboo made with high quality natural fibers in mills in the Andean highlands of South America.
- Our Guatemalan textile collection are beautifully handcrafted by skillful Mayan weavers. After the civil war in Guatemala, Mayan widows living in remote areas in the highlands, joined forces together in small cooperatives to generate an income and raise their children. They practice the ancient Mayan tradition of backstrap loom weaving. A skill passed down from mother to daughter, from generation to generation. These carefully handcrafted products combine traditional with modern designs.
- The beautiful stoneware collection is handmade by small cooperatives in San Antonio Palopo on Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. These cooperatives are community enterprises that strive to provide high quality products while improving the lives of their families and people in their village.
- Our pretty ‘Create your own sandal!’ collection’ is designed by talented women in Guatemala and skillfully handcrafted by Guatemalan Mayan weavers and ‘Zapateros’ (Shoemakers).
- Our beautiful and comfortable collection of 'Hiawatha' boots and moccasins are hand-crafted by the Huron-Wendat First Nation of Wendake, Quebec in Canada, with pride and skillfulness combining traditional ancient crafting techniques and utmost respect for mother earth.
All the artisans who make these exclusive handmade and handwoven products are passionate about each item that they create. Treat yourself, your family, and your friends to these unique one of a kind pieces of art.
- To partner with socially responsible organizations and cooperatively apply fair trade principles, encouraging responsible use of resources and ecofriendly means of production.
- To collaborate with organizations in Guatemala working towards the preservation of the ancient backstrap loom weaving, promoting these unique products around the world.
- To bridge between artisans living in remote areas and the international market.
- To empower artisan women by providing them with opportunities to use their talents.
- Creating jobs and providing equal opportunity to all.
Our values and commitments
To our Clients:
- Quetzal Artisan aim is to provide its clients with exclusive quality handmade and handwoven products in conjunction with fair trade regulations and ecofriendly means of production.
To our artisans:
- As soon as an order is placed, we advance 50% of the funds to buy the raw material needed to handcraft your exclusive one of a kind handmade and handwoven products. The remainder is paid before the order is shipped. This way we ensure that Artisans received full pay for their labour.